Saturday, April 18, 2009

How Do We Measure Success?

Last night was our second "NIGHT OUT!"

I have real mixed emotions on how the night went. People have asked me "How did it go?" " Was it a success??" I'm not sure... I guess it all depends on how we look at the word or the idea of success. I decided to look it up and found:

Success –1. the achievement of something planned or attempted. 2. Impressive achievement, especially the attainment if fame, wealth, or power 3. Something that turns out as planned or intended.

Okay... I'm still not sure! Was the night a success?

Last night, we had 16 volunteers (adults and teens) that came out to help with out NIGHT OUT! That was so wonderful to see, and many of the people who came were new this month. I count that as a success!

Besides Alex, we only had 2 other children with special needs. I lean towards seeing that as a failure. But is only having 2 kids a failure? Those 2 kids came had a WONDERFUL time. With the kids of the volunteer's, there was a total of 10 children for the evening. They played with the boxes, painted, played with the puppets and seemed to have a great time. The kids having a great, fun time, that was what we planned!... SUCCESS!!

The parents of these two children were able to get much needed respite. That was what we were attempting to do!.... SUCCESS!!

Okay then... the evening was basically a success.

I keep reminding myself that it's not just a numbers game...

Although we would love to have more kids than we can count, we need to remember the worth and importance of each and every one of these kids. If we are able to reach one family, love on one child, and gift one family with 3 hours of respite, that is huge!

We have three weeks until our next NIGHT OUT! I plan to be much more aggressive with getting the word out. Not to make the event more "successful", in that it is bigger, and more impressive, but more "successful" in that it is reaching and blessing more families.

No comments:

Post a Comment